Galaxy MLS Cup Championship Named Greatest Moment of 2011 at LA Sports Awardsby laliveinsider on Thu., Mar 15 at 08:00 AM
Los Angeles (March 15, 2012) - The Los Angeles Galaxy winning the Major League Soccer championship was named the top sports moment of 2011 at the seventh annual LA Sports Awards, presented by AT&T U-verse held tonight at Club Nokia at L.A. Live.
The Galaxy defeated the Houston Dynamo, 1-0, in the MLS Cup played on November 20 at the Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif. Landon Donovan scored the game's only goal in the 72nd minute, providing the franchise its third overall championship.
The LA Sports Awards are presented annually by the Los Angeles Sports Council to celebrate the greatest moments of the year in sports in the Los Angeles/Orange County area. An audience of more than 800 people attended the star-studded awards gala, which will be televised by Fox Sports West on Friday, March 23 at 10:30 pm PST (with multiple airings to follow).
In other award presentations, pitcher Clayton Kershaw of the Dodgers was honored as 2011 Sportsman of the Year and world champion sprinter Carmelita Jeter, known as the \"World's Fastest Woman,\" was named Sportswoman of the Year. USC football coach Lane Kiffin received the Coach of the Year award and Arte Moreno, owner of the Los Angeles Angels, was the Sports Executive of the Year honoree. The late Chuck Miller, the long-time Chairman and CEO of Avery Dennison, was the first recipient of the new John C. Argue Award, given in recognition of his outstanding contributions to the business of sports in the Los Angeles area.
During the gala the overall Top 10 moments for 2011 were counted down in ranked order. The exact ranking of the moments were determined based upon a formula combining online fan balloting with the vote by a blue-ribbon media panel.
1. Galaxy wins MLS Cup (November 20): The Galaxy beat Houston, 1-0, on Landon Donovan's second-half goal in the Final played at the Home Depot Center.
2. Dodgers' Kershaw wins NL Cy Young (November 17): Clayton Kershaw captured pitching's highest individual award, leading the National League in wins, strikeouts and earned run average.
3. Angels sign Pujols and Wilson on same day (December 8): Angels land two of the most prized free agents on the market, signing star players Albert Pujols and C.J. Wilson to long-term contracts.
4. Kemp's breakout season: Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp punctuates outstanding season by winning Hank Aaron, Silver Slugger and Gold Glove awards.
5. Huntington Beach Little Leaguers win it all (August 28): HB beat Japan, 2-1, in the championship game of the Little League World Series in Pennsylvania.
6. Clippers' Griffin's \"slam-sational\" rookie campaign (February 19): Blake Griffin wins Slam Dunk contest at NBA All-Star Weekend on way to earning League Rookie of the Year honors.
7. Clippers trade for CP3 (December 14): The Clippers stunned the basketball world by dealing for All-Star point guard Chris Paul.
8. Ducks' Perry wins NHL's Hart Trophy (June 22): Corey Perry scored a league-best 50 goals on the way to earning League MVP honors.
9. Lakers' Bryant wins All-Star Game MVP (February 20): Kobe Bryant scored 37 points to lead the West squad to a win in the NBA All-Star Game at Staples Center.
10. UCLA wins Women's Volleyball title (December 17): The Bruins defeat four-time defending champ Penn State and #1 Texas en route to title.
During the festivities, awards also were presented to each of the major local teams and universities recognizing each one's greatest moment of 2011. Those results were determined by online voting and the complete list of winners will be posted on the Sports Council's website, www.lasports.org.
\"Moments\" must have taken place in the local area or have involved a local athlete or team.
The LA Sports Awards is a fundraiser for the non-profit Los Angeles Sports Council, which will utilize the event's proceeds to further its mission of promoting economic development through sports in Southern California.
Exciting offers, pre-sale notices and exclusive contests.
Host a Private Event
L.A. LIVE is the perfect place for your group meetings, party or convention. Choose from many elegant spaces.Learn More